Potato salad, the great summer picnic side dish. Everyone has their own favorite version, and everyone puts their own special touch into their recipe.
I came up with this version because our family loves potato salad and buffalo wings, and I was in the mood for both one day. I had some chicken in the freezer, and the celery and carrots from another salad I'd made for a party, so I played around with the dressing and voila...Buffalo Chicken Potato Salad.
This isn't a salad for the faint of heart. It's chunky, hearty, and more like a main dish than a side. Served with some crusty bread, it's awesome for lunch or dinner. It's also a lot like buffalo wings, except that you don't get your fingers and face messy when eating it!
What more could you ask for in a potato salad? One of the things I really like about it is that it has great texture. It's got crunch from the celery and carrots, zing from the hot sauce, tender bites of potato and chicken, and creaminess from the ranch and blue cheese.
Just look at the crumbled blue cheese and the big chunks of chicken. Yummy!
This salad would be really good in the winter too. Nice and hearty!
One nice thing about writing recipes online is that I get to eat what I make, and this salad will hopefully last us a couple of days. I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!
|The ingredients for the Buffalo Chicken Potato Salad|
Buffalo Chicken Potato Salad Recipe
- 6 - 8 large red skin potatoes - about 3 lbs
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 packet ranch salad dressing mix
- 3 - 4 tablespoons hot sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Clean potatoes and cook until fork tender. I like to leave the skin on, but it's up to you. Drain and cool. Cut into bite sized chunks.
- Chop chicken into bite sized pieces. I usually have chicken in the freezer because I make extra for dishes like this.
- Chop carrots. I cheat here and use the bagged matchstick carrots because of convenience. I suggest a small chop because carrots can be tough to chew for some people.
- Chop celery.
- Gently mix all of the above ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, ranch dressing mix and hot sauce. I like to use 4 tablespoons of hot sauce, but not everyone likes it as much as I do, so taste as you mix the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables and gently combine.
- If desired, sprinkle blue cheese crumbles over salad and mix in.
- Chill before serving.
Note about the dressing: Some people like to dip their buffalo wings in ranch dressing and some like to dip them in blue cheese dressing. This version gives you the best of both worlds, but if you prefer, leave out the blue cheese crumbles or, use blue cheese dressing instead of the ranch. Either way is just as good.
If you are a fan of all types of potato salad like I am, you may enjoy this Deviled Egg Potato Salad
recipe too. You can find it HERE
Labels: Dinner Recipes, Main and Side Dish Recipes, Recipes